babbitt n : an alloy of tin with some copper and antimony; an anti-friction lining for bearings [syn: Babbitt metal] v : line with a Babbitt metal
- Rhymes: -æbɪt
- To line with babbitt metal to reduce friction.
"Babbitt" may refer to:
- Babbitt (novel) is a 1922 novel by Sinclair Lewis.
- Art Babbitt (1907-1992), an American animator
- Bruce Babbitt (born 1938), a United States Secretary of the Interior during the Clinton administration
- Dina Babbitt (born 1923), an American painter
- Irving Babbitt (1865-1933), an American academic and literary critic.
- Milton Babbitt (born 1916), an American composer of serial and electronic music
- Natalie Babbitt (born 1932), an American author and illustrator of children's books, notably Tuck Everlasting, The Eyes of the Amaryllis, and Knee-Knock Rise.
babbitt in German: Babbitt
babbitt in Volapük: Babbitt
Middle American, Philistine, anal character, arriviste, boeotian, boob, boor, bounder, bourgeois, burgher, cad, churl, clown, compulsive character, conformer, conformist, conventionalist, epicier, formalist, groundling, guttersnipe, hooligan, ill-bred fellow, looby, lout, low fellow, methodologist, middle-class type, middlebrow, model child, mucker, nouveau riche, organization man, parrot, parvenu, peasant, pedant, perfectionist, plastic person, precisian, precisianist, ribald, rough, roughneck, rowdy, ruffian, sheep, square, teenybopper, trimmer, upstart, vulgarian, vulgarist, yes-man, yokel